Regular exercising is an important component of a healthy lifestyle, but stretching solely forms an integral part of every workout plan. Flexibility is one of the most important components of fitness and good health, and stretching helps achieve a flexible body. There are many reasons why your fitness expert emphasises on stretching before starting the regular workouts. Here are some of those:
1. Helps reduce risk of injuries: Stretching considerably reduces the risk of almost all types of injuries. Muscle strains, spasms, and joint sprains are some of those injuries that can be eliminated by regular stretching. This is because a flexible muscle is less prone to injury as compared to a stiff muscle.
2. Improves body posture: Regular stretching of the muscles of chest, shoulders, and lower back helps the body restore a good alignment and in turn helps get a better posture.
3. Provides relief to muscles: Muscles may become stiff after some part of the day, especially after sleep, or after sitting continuously for hours. Mild stretching will relax the muscles, ensure that the body gradually becomes flexible, and adapt well to physical workout.
4. Improves functional performance: Stretching leads to a flexible joint and a flexible joint requires less energy for movement. Also, a flexible body creates energy efficient movements and improves the performance level to a great extent.
5. Promotes blood circulation: Stretching increases blood supply to the joints and muscles. Adequate blood supply to the muscles and joints also improves blood circulation in the entire body.
6. Rejuvenates: A long tiring day at work is the main cause of stress and fatigue. Stretching the limbs and hands in the middle of work hours provide quick relief. Stretching arms and legs at frequent intervals also keeps stiffness at bay and helps the body to rejuvenate.
Stretching also has other benefits like quick recovery and relieve post-exercise aches and pains. Regular stretching reduces stress and promotes the body’s metabolism. Therefore, stretching should not be ignored and without a second thought, it should be included as a pre and post exercise routine.